Dr. Antiel received his bachelor’s in psychology and biology at Taylor University. He completed a post-baccalaureate premedical program at Johns Hopkins University, followed by medical training at the Mayo Clinic School of Medicine. He completed his residency in Surgery at the Mayo Clinic with Fellowships in Pediatric Surgery at Washington University and Advanced Biomedical Ethics at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Antiel also has a master’s degree in Theology from Wheaton College (2007), and a master’s of science in Medical Ethics from the University of Pennsylvania (2016).
Dr. Antiel’s research follows surgical decision-making for fetuses, infants, children and families in uncertain and end-of-life circumstances, using theological and moral philosophical frameworks to explore the ethical difficulties surrounding such harrowing challenges. Recently, he has extended this research in the context of limited-resource COVID-19 treatment for children.
- Stevens EM, Patterson CA, Tchume-Johnson T, Antiel RM, Flake A, Smith-Whitley K, Barakat LP. Parental Attitudes Towards Prenatal Genetic Testing For Sickle Cell Disease. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2019 Nov;41(8):579-585.
- Antiel RM, Flake AW, Collura CA, Johnson MP, Rintoul NE, Lantos JD, Curlin FA, Tilburt JC, Brown SD, Feudtner C. Weighing the Social and Ethical Considerations of Maternal-Fetal Surgery. Pediatrics. 2017 Dec;140(6).
- Antommaria AH, Collura CA, Antiel RM, Lantos JD. Two Infants, Same Prognosis, Different Parental Preferences. Pediatrics. 2015 Apr 6.
- Antiel RM, Jacobson RM, Fischer PR. Ethics for the pediatrician: a brave new pediatrics?Managing the desire for better children through biotechnological enhancement. Pediatrics in Review. 2012 Feb;33(2):e13-7.
- Antiel RM, Curlin FA, James KM, Sulmasy DP, Tilburt JC. Dignity in End-of-Life Care: Results of a National Survey of U.S. Physicians. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2012 Sep;44(3):331-9.
- Brown SES, Antiel RM, Blinman TA, Shaw S, Neuman MD, Feudtner C. Pediatric Perioperative DNR Orders: A Case Series in a Children's Hospital. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019 May;57(5):971-979.
- Combs, MP, Antiel, RM, Tilburt, JC, Mueller, PS, Curlin, FA. (2011) Conscientious refusals to refer: Findings from a national physician survey. Journal of Medical Ethics, 37(7): 397-401
- Antiel RM, James KM, Hardt J, Curlin FA, Tilburt JT.(2014) Physician Opinion and the HHS Contraceptives Mandate. American Journal of Bioethics. 5;(1), 56-60.
- Antiel RM, Humeniuk KM, Tilburt JC. Spanning our differences: moral psychology, physician beliefs, and the practice of medicine. Philos Ethics Humanit Med. 2014 Nov 4;9:17.
- Antiel RM. Oedipus and the Coronovirus Pandemic. JAMA. 2020 May 21.
- Antiel RM, Curlin FA, Persad G, White DW, Zhang C, Glickman A, Emanuel EJ, Lantos JD. Should Pediatric Patients be Prioritized When Rationing Life-Saving Treatments During COVID-19 Pandemic. Pediatrics. 2020. July.
Ethics of Fetal Surgery
- Role: Principle Investigator
- Dates: July 2014 – June 2016
- Funder: The Greenwall Foundation: Making a Difference in Real-World Bioethics