- (317) 278-5402
Dr. Sotto serves as the Vice-chair for Faculty Affairs and Professional Development and as Vice-chair for Diversity, Health Equity, and Inclusion in the Department of Medicine at Indiana University School of Medicine. She co-chaired the school’s Diversity Council (2016-2021) and serves on numerous institutional committees. Dr. Sotto teaches several courses in research ethics, culturally relevant practices in medicine, and Foundations of Clinical Practice in the Spanish immersion program. Her scholarship and research center on (in)equity in academic medicine. Her interests include faculty affairs and professional development; STEM/medical education and inclusive learning environments; organizational structures and institutional bias; and the intersection of health equity and research ethics.
She is affiliated with the Indiana Clinical and Translational Institute (IN CTSI) where she serves as co-director of Workforce Development and Director of All IN for Health, an initiative from the IN CTSI dedicated to improving the health of Indiana residents by promoting health resources and research, including a research volunteer registry across the state. She also serves as Chief Diversity Officer for the the IN CTSI.
Dr. Sotto is also affiliated with the IU Center for Bioethics and the National Institute for Transformation and Equity (NITE) at IU Bloomington. At the national level, Dr. Sotto served as President of the Administrators in Internal Medicine (AIM), on the Board of Directors and as Diversity & Inclusion liaison for the Alliance of Academic Internal Medicine (AAIM). Additionally, she is an active member of various AAMC groups (GDI & GFA), ASHE, the POD Network, NADOHE, and NAMME.
- IU School of Medicine: Medical Ethics (Elective)
- IU School of Medicine: Addressing Microaggressions and Biases in Medical Education (Elective)
Selected Guest Lectures:
- "Our Responsibility: Courageous Conversations about Race, Equity and Inclusion in Academic Medicine”, Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
- "Historical Context of Race in Medicine", Charles W. Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics
- "Unconscious/Implicit Bias and Practical Implications in Medical Education", Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Surgery
- Health Equity
- Inequity in Academic Medicine and Higher Education
- Professional Development
Sotto-Santiago, S., Mac, J. & Genao, I. “Value My Culture, Value Me”: A Case for Culturally Relevant Mentoring in Medical Education and Academic Medicine. BMC Med Educ. 2023.
Sotto-Santiago S, Johnson M, Genao I. Breaking Barriers to Diversify the Physician Workforce: Research and Practice. Front. Public Health. 2023.
Sotto-Santiago S, Sharp S, Mac J, Messmore N, Haywood A, Tyson M, & Yi V. Reclaiming the Mission of Academic Medicine: An Examination of Institutional Responses to (Anti)Racism. AEM Education and Training. 2021.
Additional Publications: PubMed
Clinical and Translational Science Workforce Development through a Statewide Community College Partnership (Co-PI)
$108,000 from NCATS (National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences) from 2023 - 2028
Description: Leverage the Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute to foster the development of a diverse clinical and translational workforce within Indiana through education and immersive experiences of students from historically marginalized backgrounds enrolled in Ivy Tech, our statewide community college system.
Maximizing Investigator’s Research Award: Diversifying the Scientist Workforce (Consultant, Site Lead)
$334,000 from NIH / National Institute of General Medical Sciences 05/2017 – 01/2021
- Board of Directors, Alliance of Academic Internal Medicine, 2018–present
- President, Administrators of Internal Medicine, 2018–2021
- Member, National Association of Minority Medical Educators, 2019–present
- Member, National Association for Diversity Officers in Higher Education, 2018 – 2019